- This event has passed.
WeekendZona: Explore the Heart of the Sonoran Desert
March 8 @ 6:00 pm - March 10 @ 12:00 pm MST
Join the Local First Arizona Foundation for this locally-curated WeekendZona experience.
Explore the Heart of the Sonoran Desert
Join us in Ajo on March 8-10 for a guided experience uncovering the best kept secrets of the Sonoran Desert. Enjoy your stay at the Sonoran Desert Inn, a refreshing alternative to chain hotels, housed in a beautifully restored school. The inn is a short walk to the historic Ajo plaza and minutes from millions of acres of pristine desert landscapes.
From picnic lunches at the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument to native stories told around a fire with a glass of wine in hand, this trip is sure to ignite your love for Ajo.
All packages will include lodging for two nights, meals, and group activities. Single and double packages available. Pick up your ticket today to secure your spot!
- 6:00 pm Check in at the Sonoran Desert Inn & Conference Center
- 6:30 pm Happy hour at the Ajo Copper News Gallery
- 7:30 pm Dinner at SDCC by a local caterer
- 9:00 pm Tour of the haunted Phelps Dodge Hospital
- 8:00 am Shopping and breakfast at the 6th Annual Ajo Food Festival
- 11:30 am Brief visit to New Cornelia Open Pit Mine Overlook
- 12:00 pm Leave for Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument (ORPI)
- 12:35 pm Ajo Mountain Drive loop drive and Estes Canyon Hike (picnic lunch included)
- 6:00 pm Dancing with locals at the Ajo Rec Hall, music curated by Tucson’s Sonido Tambo; hot dogs and fixins at the Ajo Cooks hot dog cart.
- 9:00 pm Ajo stories and wine at the SDCC fire circle
- 7:30 am Breakfast at SDCC
- 9:00 am Hands-on Experiences! Choices may include: Tamale workshop with Toni Cubillas and Lorraine Eiler, Farm tour with the Ajo Center for Sustainable Agriculture (CSA), Bicycle tour of Ajo with Bike Ajo (tracking Ajo’s “yard ghost” sculptures)
- 12:00 pm Lunch at Agave Grill or Desert Rain Cafe
- 2:00 pm Departure
* all details are subject to change
More about WeekendZona
Through collaboration with local residents, we are able to craft authentically-vetted experiences that showcase the vibrancy of our rural communities. Join us and a group of fellow trip-goers as we discover hidden gems, embark on breathtaking adventures, and enjoy the locally-vetted experiences often overlooked by typical tourists.
Not only does WeekendZona provide an opportunity to experience a one-of-a-kind, guided vacation, the program also aims to redirect the billions of dollars (6 billion in Southern California, alone!) that Arizonans spend vacationing out-of-state each year back into our unique and diverse small towns. Imagine the economic impact of shifting even a fraction of those funds back into our rural communities. These WeekendZona trips create measurable economic impact that help contribute to the prosperity of our small towns long after we leave.
What is included in my package?
Lodging (two nights at the Sonoran Desert Inn), meals (Friday night dinner; Saturday breakfast ($10 voucher), picnic lunch, and dinner; Sunday breakfast and lunch), and group activities (Haunted Hospital Tour, Ajo Food Festival, Organ Pipe Cactus Entrance Fee, Ajo Dance, Campfire Stories, Tamale Workshop, Farm Tour, Bicycle Tour) are all included in the price of your ticket.
What is not included in my package?
Transportation, gratuity, and drinks are not included in the price of your ticket.
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
Transportation is not included in the getaway package. Parking is available and easily accessible at every location where parking is needed.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Is my registration fee or ticket transferrable?
Yes, please contact the organizer to let them know of the change.
What’s the refund policy?
You can receive up to 75% refund if canceled by February 14, 2019.
You can receive up to 50% refund if canceled by February 24, 2019.
You can receive up to 25% if you cancel by March 1, 2019.
You will receive no refund if canceled after March , 2019.
*Please note, tickets are transferable if you are no longer able to attend.