- This event has passed.
Desert Institute of Gardening Online: Landscaping For Birds
May 31 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm MST
Public Ticket price: $10
Certified Master Gardener & Associate Members: $10
THIS CLASS WILL BE ONLINE. YOU WILL BE SENT A LINK THE DAY BEFORE THE CLASS.
Turn your yard into a natural resort for feathered friends! It’s easy to create an inviting environment for birds ( and other delightful creatures) using an exciting array of native and desert adapted plants. A carefully planned combination of plants will provide food, shelter, and nesting opportunities for year-round activity.
- Consider features of your yard (site evaluation) and types of birds you want to (or are able to) attract
- Know what food to provide for birds (types/categories of food)
- Select the best ways to provide water for birds (options)
- Choose appropriate shelter for birds (for safety/protection, for roosting, for nesting)
- Provide plant materials
- Apply crop rotation methods
Presented by Kirti Mathura
Kirti is the Program Coordinator for the Smartscape training at the Maricopa County Cooperative Extension. She teaches Plant Materials for the Landscape Architecture Program at ASU’s School of Design, and landscaping and gardening workshops for several municipalities in the Phoenix area. Kirti is the author of “The Arizona Low Desert Flower Garden”, published by Gibbs Smith, Publisher, and has contributed to landscaping and gardening publications, including, and “Desert Landscaping for Beginners”, published by Arizona Master Gardener Press. In 2010, Kirti was awarded the prestigious title of Master of the Southwest by Phoenix Home and Garden Magazine for her contribution to public horticulture for the Phoenix community.